Research has shown diets low in wholefoods such as wholegrain, legumes, fruits and vegetables are associated with overweight and obesity, as well as body fatness.
Increasing fibre intake through a higher intake of fruits, vegetables and wholegrains is associated with reduced weight gain over time in adults.
High Fibre diets help weight loss by:
- Reducing energy absorption: meaning less energy stored as fat
- Increasing Satiety: high fibre whole foods are usually bulky, require more chewing & are filling. They delay gastric emptying which keeps us feeling full & reduces appetite. Research also shows the products from resistant starch fermentation by our microbiota send messages from our gut to the brain promoting satiety, suppressing appetite and maintaining homeostasis. Soluble fibre helps stabilise blood glucose and the insulin response, further inducing feelings of fullness.
- Alters the Gut Microbiome: this helps prevent obesity by modulating the composition & activity of the gut microbiota. Fibre intake supports a balanced and resilient microbiome which is linked to reduced weight gain and risk of obesity. Fibre diversity is associated with increased microbial diversity.
The new 2019 Gut Health Program has an increased quantity and quality of fibre to boost the good bacteria in your gut. It has been designed for optimal fat loss and gut health.
If you are already a member, you can change to the Gut Health Menu Plan by clicking Settings > My Profile > Change your menu plan preferences > Gut Health > Save.
To complete our FREE Gut Health Check, please click here.
- The Healthy Gut program has been designed for the general population and may not be suitable for those with specific conditions. If you have pre-existing conditions, or for an accurate analysis of your gut health, please seek advice from a health professional.
- The Gut health program is currently only available to those registering for the Total Wellbeing Diet in Australia