The new 2019 Healthy Gut Program is a high fibre, high protein low GI diet, which has been designed to keep you feeling fuller for longer and assisting in appetite control. As part of this program, your meal plan will include a variety of fibre dense whole foods spread throughout the day.
Australians do not eat enough fibre, putting them at risk of gut disorders and other health problems. Fibre diversity is also lacking in the Australian Diet as we tend not to have a lot of variety in the plant foods we eat.
So what are some examples of high fibre whole foods?
- Breads & Cereals : Wheat, rye, oats & barley
- Meat & Protein (legumes): black beans, black eyed beans, kidney beans, cannellini beans, split peas, butter beans & baked beans
- Fruit (with skin on): Figs, blackberries, raspberries, guava, pears, kiwifruit, mango, oranges, apples, persimmon
- Vegetables (unpeeled): artichoke, green peas, brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, parsnip, carrot, spinach, silver-beet, beetroot, leek, okra, green beans, broad beans, sweet potato, onion
- Healthy Fats (nuts): chia seeds, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pistachios, brazil nuts, coconut flesh
- Other: Banana flour (uncooked), Wheat bran, wheat germ, psyllium husks and pea fibre
What are some examples of foods high in resistant starch?
- Breads & Cereals: potatoes & sweet potatoes cooked & cooled
- Meat & Protein (legumes): chickpeas, kidney beans & lentils
- Fruit: bananas (bought with a tinge of green & eaten before brown spots develop)
- Healthy Fats (nuts): cashew nuts & peanuts.
The new 2019 Gut Health Program has an increased quantity and quality of fibre to boost the good bacteria in your gut. It has been designed for optimal fat loss and gut health.
If you are already a member, you can change to the Gut Health Menu Plan by clicking Settings > My Profile > Change your menu plan preferences > Gut Health > Save.
To complete our FREE Gut Health Check, please click here.
- The Healthy Gut program has been designed for the general population and may not be suitable for those with specific conditions. If you have pre-existing conditions, or for an accurate analysis of your gut health, please seek advice from a health professional.
- The Gut health program is currently only available to those registering for the Total Wellbeing Diet in Australia