Dietary fibre is the component of plant foods (vegetables, fruits, grains, beans and legumes) that are not digested. Not only is it important for our gut health but it also helps keep us feeling fuller for longer, which is beneficial for weight loss!
Fibre can also improve cholesterol and blood glucose levels, and may help to prevent some diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and bowel cancer.
There are four types of fibre, each with different functions and health benefits.
- Soluble Fibre: keeps you fuller for longer by slowing the rate our stomachs empty. Also helps to lower cholesterol, stabilise blood glucose levels and reduce constipation
- Insoluble fibre: helps keep our bowel movements regular by absorbing water to soften the contents of our bowels. This helps bulk up stools and prevent constipation. It also helps keep us full as well as promoting a healthy bowel environment.
- Readily fermentable fibre: dietary fibre that is fermented by microbiota in the large bowel. These are important in building & maintaining diverse and healthy gut microbiota. This helps lower risk of chronic bowel diseases.
- Resistant Starch: is not broken down in the small intestine but instead is fermented by the good bacteria in the large intestine to improve bowel health. Fermentation leads to the production of metabolites that aid normal bowel function. Research has highlighted the potential of resistant starch in preventing & slowing the progression of many common diet-related diseases.
Eating a variety of different fibres will maximise the health benefits that each fibre type offers. Foods high in fibre are also usually low in fat and salt, and concentrated in nutrients such as antioxidants that can help support health and well being.
The new 2019 Gut Health Program has an increased quantity and quality of fibre to boost the good bacteria in your gut. It has been designed for optimal fat loss and gut health.
If you are already a member, you can change to the Gut Health Menu Plan by clicking Settings > My Profile > Change your menu plan preferences > Gut Health > Save.
To complete our FREE Gut Health Check, please click here.
- The Healthy Gut program has been designed for the general population and may not be suitable for those with specific conditions. If you have pre-existing conditions, or for an accurate analysis of your gut health, please seek advice from a health professional.
- The Gut health program is currently only available to those registering for the Total Wellbeing Diet in Australia
The Australian Nutrition Foundation (Victoria) Inc. (2014). Fibre. http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/
Belobrajdic, D., Brownlee, I., Hendrie, G., Rebuli, M., Bird, T. (2018). Gut health and weight loss: An overview of the scientific evidence of dietary fibre for weight loss. CSIRO, Australia.